Sunday 11 July 2021

More Books I've Enjoyed This Year

I've decided to read and review books by independently published authors to find the gems that have been overlooked by big publishing houses and support fellow authors. These are a few more of my favourite reads this year...

Hungry for Life by Rachel Richards

Review: Brilliantly written, totally insightful

This is the best book exploring the mind of an eating disordered person that I've ever read, and I've read a few. A compelling story that takes you through the life of Rachel and her inner demons as she descends into Anorexia and comes out the other side through eventual recovery. The only thing that strikes me as unexpected, is that she had quite a privileged life, and abundant opportunities which she embraced. I've tended to think that eating disorders are more likely to affect people who lack privilege and opportunity, but it just goes to show how it can affect people from all walks of life. Buy it here



Tipping Point by Terry Tyler

Review: Enjoyable story about survivors in a post-apocalyptic world
 
This book, set in the UK, explores how civilian life has changed after the 'bat virus' kills most of the population. It is well written and raises interesting ethical questions. It has a few too many characters for my tastes (am easily confused) but there are also some strong characters. I liked Ozzy!

It has some interesting twists, but a disappointing ending - it just stops mid story 'to be continued'. I like stories to have some sort of conclusion, even when there is a sequel. There are four books in this series. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Buy it here
 

The Virus by C G Barrie

Review: A Short Story with a Twist

The story seems very familiar to start with, as a virus spreads around the globe. It's easy to read because the scenario is so topical. As this work of fiction starts to unfold, we see a 98% death rate among anyone who's infected. Then an unexpected turn of events that takes it in a different direction. I did feel that the end came rather suddenly and more could be made of the scenes towards the end.

At 15 pages, it's certainly a short story and not a novel. It took under an hour to read, and while it satisfied my curiosity, I was left with a bit of a sense of "Is that it?" I guess I'm more used to reading longer pieces of work. I think as long as you remember this is what it is - a short story - you'll enjoy it. It's no work of literary genius, but it provides an hour's entertainment on a very relevant topic. Buy it here

How to Market a Book by Richard Fayet

Review: Very comprehensive!

I don't think this one's independently published, but I thought it would interest many of my followers and it's perma free. This book is very comprehensive, and I think I learnt a lot by the time I got to the end - although I think I'd also forgotten a lot by the time I got to the end! 

It's definitely one to come back to when you're embarking on a new marketing campaign or trying something different. Good for dipping in and out of different topics and refreshing your knowledge. It busted a few myths, explained how Amazon's algorithm works, and made me wonder whether I should be an affiliate. For free, it's a no-brainer. Get it here

6 comments:

  1. Good reviews. Hungry for Life sounds particularly interesting and emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All four books seems interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Susie.
    Great to support indie authors!
    And thanks for reminding me that I downloaded How to Market a Book some time ago & never got round to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's great. It's a good read, but a bit overwhelming!

      Delete