Saturday 29 September 2018

Writing for foreign markets


I make a living writing for magazines and I do a lot of work for overseas publications, especially in America. I was once quizzed on how I found work in foreign markets, so I thought I'd share some of the answers here...
 
Finding work in the US and Australia

When I first wanted to get work in America, I used the US equivalent of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, called Writer's Market, to find US clients. I worked through the magazine section from A-Z. 
 
In Australia, the equivalent resource is online. The Australian Writer's Marketplace lists all Australian titles, but I've also been lucky finding Australian magazines just by searching Google for Australian health magazines, or Australian travel magazines, for example. This has the added advantage of bringing up any that aren't listed in the yearbook.

I looked at articles printed on the magazine's websites. I don't usually try to get physical copies. I have occasionally asked for a sample article to help me get the style right. The editors have then sent me a copy of the magazine or a PDF of something similar.

Reworking material for a new market


Where possible, I try to rework articles that I've written for UK markets, adapting them for foreign markets - the publishers in the US nad Australia invariably want something slightly different to what I've already produced and they also usually want first world rights to the material.
 
 
I write a fair bit about food and you have to be aware that in foreign countries, food preferences differ, the names of some foods differ, and what's popular and in season differs too. I've had to make considerable adjustments to British health articles, modified for the Australian market, to take account of climate differences and dietary differences. 
 
I've had to research which vegetables grow well in Australian gardens at different times of year. You can't assume the same vegetables that are popular among British gardeners are popular in Australia too. I've also used different research studies to illustrate my points and make my work more relevant to Australian readers.
 
Teething problems

One of my first pieces published in the USA was in Auto Week, who commissioned a time-sensitive piece and then had some editorial changes. My emails got lost. No one replied. I didn't know if my piece had been published. I certainly hadn't been paid. I finally managed to get hold of someone, nearly a year later, only to find out about the editorial changes. They did eventually use my piece (updated) and paid me. But I never got to see a copy, either electronically or in print. I gave up at that point, just happy to have been paid!

Advice for writers approaching a foreign market for the first time

Make sure you tailor your pitch to their domestic market. Use information relevant and topical to the country, and know the language differences. So try to write in American English if you're approaching the American markets, for example.
 

My book, Freelance Writing: Aim Higher, Earn More, has a chapter on writing for overseas markets.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. I am enjoying your blog. I have bookmarked it for a closer look. wishing you the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. previous comment from Jacqui Wegren on Medium

      Delete
    2. There are more up to date versions on Medium!

      Delete