Saturday 9 January 2021

30 years to publication

My debut novel, Pestilence, has just been pu
blished, and if you enjoy 'end of the world' thrillers, it might be just up your street! mybook.to/pestilencebook

The story behind this book is a long one, but I'll give you the short version. When I was about 15, I discovered James Herbert, and was smitten by his books and inspired to emulate him. So at the age of 16, I started writing the first draft of a story about a deadly fungus, which would bring about the end of the world. James Herbert's Rats had made him famous, and Shaun Hutson's Slugs did pretty well too. This was my attempt at a similar idea.


I had character profiles and a few plot ideas, but most of it, I worked out as I went along. The problem was, I got stuck. I never worked out the ending. The novel got shelved for 20 years.

I'd hoped to become a full-time writer when I left school, but it was the 1990 recession and faced with an unsympathetic father, who thought I was incompetent and deluded, being a novelist was not an option. A series of shitty office jobs ensued.

20 years on, at the age of 36, I took redundancy and decided to become a freelance writer. By this time, the man in my life was much more supportive, and I was allowed to carve out a writing career over the course of a year.

I used National Novel Writing Month to finish the novel and get the ending done. I took out a lot of the horror content, deciding it would reach more readers as a thriller instead. Then it got virtually shelved again for the best part of ten years, as I concentrated on the paid journalism and photography jobs, which were much more lucrative.

Eventually I took two months off in 2019 to edit and hone the novel, getting feedback, and doing further revisions. In 2020 I submitted to agents, hoping to get a big publishing deal, but as Covid-19 struck, it turned out, everyone else was doing the same. It wasn't a good time.

So at the turn of 2021, with a collection of rejection emails and stony silences under my belt, I decided to self publish the novel that had taken over 30 years from conception to publication. This might be a record, but I doubt it.

I'm hoping to sell 1000 copies - partly to generate a decent income for all the time I've invested in the project, and partly to show dad that my ideas had potential after all! Not that he's bothered. But it would be a nice ending to a very long story, before I move on to my next project!

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations Susie. I hope your book does well, it's no mean feat to not only complete a full length novel but self publish it as well. Actually my first novel had a similar history to yours, after languishing in a draw for over 20 years, I finally dug it out while horse/house sitting in Wales, and completely revised it. It took a few more years to do anything with it, but I was eventually lucky enough to have it published by a small press, albeit in the U.S. - but it did eventually end up being the first in a trilogy! I too read a lot of James Herbert several years ago, although my reading tastes tend more to my own genre, Science Fiction Romance, these days. Anyway, I wish you well with your book, and hope at some stage to read it myself, although I'm a bit swamped with other things at the moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment. Thank you Lyn. I did think about approaching US publishers, but thought by the time I'd gone through that rigmarole, another year could pass, and the appetite for pandemic stories might be less! Decided to get on with it and embrace higher royalties. Yes, it seems many readers are already swamped with books - a common challenge for those trying to sell books! Thank you for your lovely response.

      Delete
  2. Well done for finally finishing and publishing your book!I've often thought of writing another novel (I wrote my first one at 25. I'm almost 66 now!) but I doubt that I will. Still, on and up, up, UP! Keep going, Susie! XxX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, 66 might be your year of inspiration - especially if we continue to stay locked down for extended periods. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting your book 'out there'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on finally publishing your novel. It took me 18 years to finish my first children's novel and I self-published, too. I have since written two more, which took me much less time. Life gets in the way sometimes. The important thing is that you persevered and finished. Good luck. @CarolWater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, Yes, I think planning a book from beginning to end from the start could cut 29 years out of this process! Thank you for your good wishes!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the publication of your novel! I think taking the viral plague trope and re-imagining it as a fungal entity is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing the book! That is quite the story and quite the journey. I'm sure it must feel really good to have finished the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely nice to have finished. Yes. It really feels like the work has just begun though, trying to reach readers!

      Delete
  7. Good Luck with your book sales.
    I'm a bit backed up at the moment with my reading list, but have added it to my wish list on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tony! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

      Delete