Wednesday 10 March 2021

Marketing Your Book: 3 months after launch


When I published my debut novel, Pestilence on 6 January 2021, I wrote a marketing plan to help raise awareness and generate sales. It was obviously limited by lockdown, but there was plenty I could do online. So nearly three months on, how's it gone? Well it wasn't a complete disaster...

Tell Everyone

The single most successful approach to marketing, which I cannot recommend highly enough, is to simply tell everyone. I told everyone I could think of.

Friends and family all received emails. Social media contacts got to see my book cover before launch and help me decide on a design (it was a 50:50 split and I decided to go for the design that best reflected the apocalyptic storyline). 

I told the neighbourhood watch coordinator, who sent an email to all the neighbours, the WI, countryside group, environmental group, local Facebook groups, home group, and people from church. The church group were among the most enthusiastic, which was fabulous! I also wrote a blog about my 30 year journey to publication, which has been the most viewed blog I've ever written. I sent a newsletter to my author mailing list, and my first review came from a lovely man on that list.

Guest Blogs

I lined up guest blogs and sent a press release to the local paper, which they duly published with a Q&A. The guest blogs and articles are below...

Book Trailer

I created a short book trailer using Movie Maker, posted it on my social media sites, and my Amazon Author page. Watch it on YouTube here

Radio Interview

I hadn't planned to do a radio interview, but someone from BBC Three Counties Radio saw my '30 year to publication' blog doing the rounds on social media, and got in touch. They wanted to do a short interview about it as part of their Inspiring People series. With a couple of hours notice, I tried to prepare, but stumbled quite a lot, as they asked different questions to those I was expecting. It wasn't my proudest moment. Maybe someone bought my book because they felt sorry for me?

A Magazine Interview

Since then I've done an interview with a local magazine, Vale Life, and asked one of my magazine editors to pop a single line about my book at the bottom of one of my articles. He said he could do better than that - and is running a short piece about my book in the April edition. Woohoo! Like I said, 'Tell Everyone!' 

Boomers on Books Interview

I was invited to take part in the Boomers On Books author interviews, so on 22 March I met with Vince Stephenson on video call to discuss my book, my career as a freelance writer, and the ups and downs of the writing life. You can view it here, if you wish! It's all good practice for public speaking when covid restrictions are eventually lifted!

Email signature

I've now added a short book promo at the bottom of my email signature, just in case I forget to tell everyone.

Other stuff

I've also created an account on Bookbub, and need to explore how to use that to best effect. Connect with me there if you like!

I've had an Amazon advertising campaign running for a few months, and it's started getting a decent number of impressions - the current UK position is that it's had 694 impressions, 17 clicks, one sale, 281 Kindle Unlimited reads, and it's cost me £1.66. I've made a small profit.

Looking forward, I need to explore other book promotion sites. I think talks, book signings and festivals are the way to go when the pandemic is over, but until then, I'll see you online.

Did it work? Well sales are slow but steady. I'll keep you posted.

Final thought...  tell everyone! 

Here's a link to Pestilence... in case you're tempted


4 comments:

  1. Good for you, yes tell everyone! Here's wishing Pestilence great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie,
    I think I am following your boat. I have self-published a fantasy novel and am starting with Twitter. I have another novel lined up, and will think of paid promotion after that one is published. I have opened an account on Bookbub but have not done much after that.
    Do you recommend promotion on Amazon itself or on social media/ web?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mony, Social media is worth getting involved with, but do engage - don't just post links to your book. Engagement will get people interested in you and your works. The latest new on my the Amazon advertising campaign is that it's got 461 impressions, 11 clicks and cost 97p. But no sales. At the moment, on that basis, I cannot recommend it.

      Delete